Are You Concerned about Flood Damage in Newington?
Even a Small Amount of Water can Cause Flood Damage
Newington is a small, charming town in Connecticut with just 30,562 people. Newington is best known as a handy residential suburb for nearby Hartford, but it has an appeal all its own. The town offers a relaxed pace of life and a picturesque place for visitors with its quaint tree-lined main street and pretty historical buildings.
Newington’s history stretches back to 1636 when settlers set up homes in “West Society,” an area known for being rich in timber. In the early nineteenth century, Levi Lusk established a tavern, which was the first of several taverns and hotels in the area, which encouraged more people to visit.
Come and Visit the Smallest Natural Waterfall in America
The people of Newington are incredibly proud of Mill Pond Falls. The falls are the smallest natural falls in America, with a drop of just 5 meters. Mill Pond Falls was named for a sawmill built nearby in 1860, and they appear on the town’s official seal today.
Mill Pond Park, where the falls are located, offers plenty for visitors throughout the year:
- Relaxing walks through the woods and down to the falls, with a footpath and viewing area above the water.
- Enjoy fishing or biking, or swim in the public pool.
- Join in the Newington Extravaganza in summer, when visitors can ride boats past the falls.
- Visit at Christmas to see the area around the falls adorned with lights.
- Stop by the crimson maple Thankful Tree and take a moment to find gratitude for the good in your life.
Newington is so proud of Mill Pond Falls that it even hosts a celebration in their honor every year. The Waterfall Festival has taken place every year since 2000 and features over 70 local vendors of crafts, arts, food, and beverages. The festival also includes a “chalk walk” where budding artists of all ages are encouraged to create chalk masterpieces on the sidewalk, and the winners get a prize.
However, Newington is not just about the waterfall! While you are here, do not miss the opportunity to take in some other historic sites:
- The Kellog-Eddy Historic House Museum is an excellent example of authentic Federal architecture. The two-story wooden house is five bays wide and features an original portico.
- Newington Junction features a range of striking homes from the late eighteenth to the early twentieth century and is the most historically significant part of town.
- W1AW, also known as the Hiram Percy Maxim Memorial Station, is the flagship location for amateur radio in the united states.
Help for Flood Damage of all Sizes
Mill Pond Falls provided power for an entire sawmill despite its size – a little water can go a long way. This is true of flooding, too. A small amount of water can:
- Soak into carpets or floorboards.
- Damage plaster or wallpaper.
- Leave watermarks on upholstery.
It is tempting to try and clean up small amounts of flood damage yourself. However, floodwater can contain health hazards, and a small amount can damage your home. SERVPRO technicians have the tools and knowledge to quickly assess the situation, mitigate any dangers, and draw up a drying plan.
If you need help with flood damage, big or small, call SERVPRO of Newington / Central Hartford at (860) 667-9191.